Sister Ashlyn Brooke Unbedacht

Sister Ashlyn Brooke Unbedacht

Monday, May 25, 2015

May 25th, 2015 - Next Stop....BRASIL!!!

 As you can see from the title something exciting is happening very soon. I received a call this week from President Hobbs telling me that he has my flight information and I will be leaving the Rancho Cucamonga mission for the Fortaleza Brasil East mission on June 16th!!!!!!  At first I had mixed emotions about leaving Rancho because this place has become home, but I really am so excited to be going to Brasil in just a few weeks.  With me leaving so soon this means working even harder, so I can do all the Lord wants me to do here in Rancho Cucamonga.

This week consisted of a lot of finding. We have been trying to come up with things we can do to talk to more people and President Hobbs gave us the idea to make birthday cards for members in the ward and have their neighbors sign it. Luckily we had 4 birthdays this past week in our ward and so this sounded like a wonderful idea. Well, this week we have talked to more people than we have any other week and people have been super nice to us. It has been great!  We always mention to the person who is signing the card that we are from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the same church as their neighbor.  We have had some really good dicussions from this and have received really good feedback.  It"s all around a wonderful idea!  The member is feeling loved from their neighbors and builds trust with us as we meet their neighbors and they see that missionaries are nice, good people.  Many of the people we have talked to about it say that they really appreciate what we are doing and that they think this is such a cool thing that we are doing for their neighbor. Yesterday we had a cool experience because a girl who was signing one of the cards was interested in learning more about the church and so we taught her about the Restoration and gave her a copy of The Book of Mormon.  Sadly, she was "cat-sitting" for her neighbor and she lives in Chino (another city in the mission) so we will have those missionaries teach her, but still, more success then we were seeing before! 
Found this random sign left outside of our apartment one morning.

As I've said before, we don't get too many chances to do service but starting this week the missionaries are teaming up with the city and doing something called Cyber Seniors. Once a week a set of missionaries is going to be in the community center teaching the Elderly how to use technology.  Sister Lampinen and I got to go in on Wednesday and do this. It was so fun! I got to help out this lady named Teresa learn how to use a mouse, keyboard, and the internet! I couldn't even believe that she had never touched a mouse to a computer before! When I was teaching her how to use google and how she could look anything up, she started typing in random things she wanted to know. She decided to look up religions and a long list of them came up. She was looking and reading the names of them and then came across Latter-Day Saints and paused. She then looked at me and said, "Hey! I know a Mormon! She was one of my best friends!". I then showed her my tag and said, "No Way! I'm actually a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints!". She was surprised and got this big smile on her face and said, "Really? Wow, I really think they are awesome people!". I explained to her a couple of things and then she had to go, but it was cool that I got to talk about religion with her. Because it is at the city and we are their guests helping, we aren't supposed to talk about religion unless they bring it up to us, and she did! Pretty cool!  Another service opportunity we had this week was clean out Rebecca and Sam's garage. They are the older couple who Sister Lampinen and I love dearly. It was so fun to get to help them out and spend more time with them. 
Moved into a new apartment this week.

This week Sister Lampinen and I moved into a new apartment. We had to move all of the furniture and clean and then move our things in, which took a while but we are grateful that this apartment is closer to our area, even though it was the Elders apartment before. We pretty much live on Route 66 now! I get so excited when we drive on it because it reminds me of the Disney movie Cars.
This week was really fun! For some reason Sister Lampinen and I couldn't stop laughing. I will share one of the funny stories that explains how the week went. I answered the phone call from the Elders and they said their names and I said "Hey this is Elder Unbedacht.. ugh I mean.. Sister Unbedacht". I heard Sister Lampinen in the other room bust up laughing and then we just died laughing for like 5 minutes! Little things like that have just made this week a really funny one.
I love you all so much!  Thank you for your prayers! 
Love,
Elder.. I mean...Sister Unbedacht ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment