Sister Ashlyn Brooke Unbedacht

Sister Ashlyn Brooke Unbedacht

Monday, July 13, 2015

July 13th, 2015- Another Great Week!!

Oi!  I cant believe another week has passed by here in Brasil!  I will try to explain a little more about my experiences here so far. First of all I had a wonderful birthday!  After we emailed our families, Sister Angulo and I went shopping and she made me a wonderful Lunch!  After lunch we cleaned and just relaxed. When it was time for Family Night many of the members gathered together.  We had a lesson and when it was time for the activity they all surprised me and had balloons and a cake and sang happy birthday to me.  It really was such a special day!  Sister Angulo is the best!  Because we are a group here in Iguatu, the 4 Sisters and 4 Elders here work together all the time.  We do EVERYTHING!  We plan for Family home evening for the ward and for YM's and YW's lessons and activities. 
  
Surprise birthday bash!

Everyday here in Brasil is HOT.  I have never sweated so much in my life!  We only have cold showers and I'm so grateful for cold showers now!  I had more spider bites this past week and my feet are destroyed from how much we walk.  We walk around 7 miles a day.  We received permission to wear tennis shoes at times, this makes it a little more comfortable as we walk the distance. 

 Our area in Iguatu is huge! We walked about an hour to arrive in one area (They dont have a bus system here, so we walk everywhere). I'm just grateful for water and for the strength Heavenly Father gives me each day.

 This week was FULL of miracles. I wish I could tell them all to you, but I don't have time for it, so I will share 1 of the miracles that took place.  Each Saturday we invite 40 investigators or just people to church for Sunday. Literally, everyone told us no or that they had things going on after they understood the importance of going to church.  We were sad because we were so close to hitting all of our goals for the week.  We prayed that we could find people to go to church.  Sunday morning before church we went back to the homes of the people we invited to remind them about church. Nobody answered their doors or they were busy. When we arrived at church we saw a man and his girlfriend that said they wouldn't be attending church, but they were there! They said that they love church and that they want to be taught more.  Seriously, a miracle! We were so happy to see our investigators at church. 

Sunday was such an amazing day because we had a baptism. Not a baptism of Sister Angulo and I, but of the Elders. When they receive a baptism it's building  the same group, so it makes us all very happy! The baptism this week was in a tank. We have to be creative to find water for baptisms. It was such a special experience! 

The people here love calling me blondie and american and love hearing me speak Portugues because it is not very good. The people here are so nice by saying that I speak good portugues and that they somewhat understand me. haha.  One of my favorite things that Sister Angulo and I always do is sing for the members. Sister Angulo has a wonderful voice so we enjoy harmonizing and singing all day long. It is so fun! 

Now, a funny story.  Sister Angulo and I met some younger guys that work and own a Churrasco joint, So we are trying to teach them. We walked by the joint and they were cooking up some meat.  We talked to them for awhile and then they asked if we were hungry. We said we were a little. This guy came out with tons of cookies and food and then gave us some meat for free! Then said that we should come by this next week for lunch. Wahoo!  The funny part is that Im pretty sure the guys did it for Sister Angulo.  Oh I love the people here! 
Sister Angulo and I

I have learned so much in Brasil and I am so grateful for this experience I have. The language is really hard for me. I speak it often, but I know it's not correct.  I'm learning a lot out here on my mission.  I have learned that the Lord won't ever give us something that we cant handle, even though we think it's the hardest thing we have ever done. I have learned more about humility and a lot about patience, but I know that because of this I will be blessed. 

Thank you for all your support and love! 
I love you all!

Love,
Sister Unbedacht 

ps. Nobody can say my name here and when I say it people just laugh. Oh well! :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment