Sister Ashlyn Brooke Unbedacht

Sister Ashlyn Brooke Unbedacht

Monday, August 17, 2015

August 17th, 2015 - The Church Continues to grow in Iguatu!


I am so happy to announce that this week was the first week for the members in Iguatu to attend a full 3 hour block of church and have callings!!!!!!!!!  The group here has been growing so fast and we are so close to becoming a Branch.  This past Sunday was truly amazing!  We now have church from 9am to 12pm and there are callings for every class and group.  It was so fun to watch the members step up and accept positions to serve and lead the classes. I absolutely loved this week at church!  It was different because normally the missionaries do everything, but now we finally have the help we need and I know that Iguatu is in good hands.  It is an amazing feeling to see the fruits of our labor and God doing his work here. I absolutely love it here in Iguatu!  I cant imagine leaving this place. I keep telling myself that I would be just fine with staying  in Iguatu for the rest of my mission!  

Now, other news. The area that Sister Angulo and I serve in is the poorest area of Iguatu. This past week something very interesting happened. There are people rebelling to buy homes and so there are now (in our area) areas of houses (more like huts) that are built out of literally cardboard and blankets. When I saw this I was in total shock!  It was like the photos of India that Dad would show us. The people made their own community out of the most random things. It is very sad! 

I have a funny story, but I dont know if emailing it will do it justice. Sister Angulo and I were walking from one area to another and to do so we have to walk on this road that goes on forever and just has plants on both sides. Well, some people decided to burn some of the plants and there were HUGE flames in front of us. We continued to walk towards the flames and then something just bursted! We ran on the side of the flames to hurry past all the smoke. The funny part of this story was that were in our skirts running through smoke as the ashes are falling around us. At this moment I felt like I was in an action film!  I was laughing so hard because it just seemed like I was Jason Bourne.  It was awesome!

Now for my favorite story of the week!  Do you remember the man that I talked about that would smoke all the time and I stole his pack of cigarettes?  Well we returned to his house Saturday night (His wife and daughter are members).  We sat down with him and asked for him to be honest with us and tell us if he had smoked any cigarettes since that day.  He said that for almost a month he hasn't smoked and he is happier now than ever.  He then went on telling us the details of his experience of what happened when we left his home with his pack of cigarettes. He explaied that at first he was mad at me, but then he realized that this was a chance for him to really stop. He had his wife read the Book of Mormon to him (he cant read) and he decided at that point he would change forever.  He then explained that because of God and me that his life has changed.  At this point Sister Angulo and I are in tears because all of our prayers and fasts for him really worked!  I recieved a testimony that miracles really do happen.  God can soften the heart of any person!  We are now working towards his baptism! 

Like always, I am so grateful for the experiences I have had here and continue to have! 
Love you all!
Love,
Sister Unbedacht 

No comments:

Post a Comment