Sister Ashlyn Brooke Unbedacht

Sister Ashlyn Brooke Unbedacht

Sunday, August 30, 2015

August 24th 2015 - Count The Blessings

Oi!  This week has been so wonderful!  I will start off with a funny story.  Sister Angulo and I were eating at a members house and she said to me, "Sister Unbedacht, you would be a great model here in Brasil.  You're tall, your hair is blonde, and you have a pretty face".  I laughed and said that I could never be a model and she said back to me that I would be a good plus size model here in Brasil.  ah!  I didn't know whether to be offended or take it as a compliment!  I just laughed and took it as a nice compliment!  hahaha. 

Another funny story... today I decided to cut my hair.  I didn't know how to explain to the lady how to cut my hair and I asked for her to layer my bangs, so it blends with the rest of my hair.  I don't think she understood this and she cut my bangs straight across.  I didn't realize that she did this until we left the house and I didn't want to say anything.  My hair doesn't look very good and she cut a lot!  I remember that this happened before my mission where a lady didn't cut my hair very well and I was stressing so much, but here in Brasil I decided that all I can do is laugh it off and have a bad hair cut.  I have learned to have a lot of patience here and not care about the little things.  Which is good!

It is warming up here!  Everyday I keep thinking that this is the hottest it will get in Iguatu, then I realize that the following day is even hotter.  September is suppose to be the hottest month here.  We don't get rain and there is not much wind.  It will be interesting! 

This week was a very busy week.  We taught many people and walked A LOT.  It all paid off because Samantha was baptized on Sunday in a river.  It was such a great experience to teach her and watch the change that occurred in her life.  She looks so much happier!  The blessings of serving a mission are so grand!  I love it! 

I want to share some things that I studied this morning.  I read the talk "Count the Blessings" by President Monson.  I absolutely loved this talk!  I loved everything he talked about.  He said, Rather than dwelling on the negative, if we will take a step back and consider the blessings in our lives, including seemingly small, sometimes overlooked blessings, we can find greater happiness.  He then challenges us to take an inventory of our lives and look specifically for the blessings, large and small, that we have received.  There are so many things that we could talk negatively about, but there are even more things that are positive in our lives.  He then goes on and talks about prayer.

He explains that we need to not only pray for help and how Heavenly Father will help us, but that we need to be worthy to receive promptings so that we can be an answer to anothers prayer.  I thought about this message this week and if I was following the promptings that Heavenly Father gave me.  I then remembered something that happened this week.  

We were on the street walking to a meeting and I smiled at a lady and said good morning to her.  I had a feeling that we need to talk with her, but we were hurrying to a meeting so I didn't say anything.  Later on that same day we were walking in a completely different part of our area and someone started to shout something at us.  I looked over and it was the same lady.  She was saying how she saw us earlier and how she wanted to talk with us.  We entered her house and talked with her and she told us many things that obviously indicated that she has been prepared for this time to hear our message.  While we were at her house I realized that I didnt follow the prompting I received earlier, but the Lord knew she needed to meet with us and he made it happen so we could share a message with her that day. 

President Monson also says, The Lord is aware of our needs and will help us as we call upon Him for assistance. The Lord is in the details. 
I would like to invite all of you to read this talk and think about the things that he talks about. For me, this talk changed a lot of how I think about prayer and promptings we receive. 

I am so grateful for a Prophet who lives. I am so excited to hear from an Apostle of the Lord THIS Wednesday!  Elder Neil L. Anderson will be visiting my mission.  It will be such an amazing experience!

I love you all!
Love,
Sister Unbedacht




No comments:

Post a Comment