Sister Ashlyn Brooke Unbedacht

Sister Ashlyn Brooke Unbedacht

Sunday, August 2, 2015

July 27th, 2015 - Baptism, Wedding and More Stories!

Familia! Oi!


It is always strange when I get on and email because all throughout the week I only speak Portugues and here I write in English.  I tried speaking English this week with an Elder here and it was hard to say all I wanted to say in English, so I ended up switching to Portugues! 
I'm with some of the youth in our Group.

This week was so awesome!  Full of many great things! I will start with a story. This week was a birthday of a 9 year old in the ward. He is such a sweet boy, his name is Lucas (mom grab some tissues;)). We were talking to his mom on his birthday and asked what kind of cake she is making for him and what he is receiving. She quietly said that he wont be receiving anything, not even a cake because they dont have any money. She tried to earn some money for his birthday, but couldnt get enough. When we left the house we went straight away to the store. We bought two big cakes and a huge candy bar for little Lucas. We snuck into the house and wrote a note for Lucas saying that all this was from his mom, and then we left so nobody would see what we did. I guess when he entered the house and saw all of the stuff he started to cry being so grateful that he finally had cake on his birthday! This broke my heart. It shows how little the people here have, but yet they do so much for others. 
The Wedding
Next story. On wednesday we had permission from President Fusco to attend a wedding in our ward. Funny thing, us missonaries were the bridesmaids and groomsmen. We were the witnesses and had to sign for the wedding... strange but awesome! It was so fun! 
On Friday we went to another city for training and interviews with president. I am so grateful for President Fusco! He is an amazing person! We were all so tired though because we took the bus at 1 am and arrived at 4 am and just sat outside waiting till 9 am to go to the meeting. I slept for 2 hours! It was rough, but worth it!

Now the best for last.. Ricardo was baptized yesterday!!! It was such an amazing day! Ricardo will be a leader here in Iguatu when we have a branch. He is attending all the activities and always trying to learn more about the church. He is an example for all the people here. I am so happy for him and I am so grateful for the day that we met him. It was such a great experience to teach him all the lessons and be able to see him be baptized. I am very excited to see what happens with him next!
Ricardo's Baptism

As you can see things are going great here! I am finally starting to be okay with the heat! I dont have to sleep with the fan on, which is an improvement! The language is still coming along.  We talk in Portugues 24/7 here and I even think in Portugues now. Now I just need to work on growing my vocabulary and my accent. The people here are very nice and are always helping me. On sunday I gave my first talk in Portugues and all of the members after said how I did a great job and then I asked if they understood it all and most of them said, hmmm yaaaa... hahah. I have a lot to improve on! My time on my mission is flying by and I cant believe that soon I will hit my date for being out for 6 months. I am grateful for all that I am learning and for my Savior, who has helped me every moment here. My testimony has been strengthened as I've struggled and have tried to improve. 

Please remember that you are never alone. We ALWAYS have the Savior on our side when we are doing good. I know that Christ always has his arms stretched out waiting for us to grab on and let his atonement heal and strengthen us. 
Celebrating a birthday with one of the members of our Group.

I love you all! I hope you all have a wonderful week! 
Love,
Sister Unbedacht 

No comments:

Post a Comment