Sister Ashlyn Brooke Unbedacht

Sister Ashlyn Brooke Unbedacht

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

April 18th, 2016 - "Forget Yourself and Go To Work!"

My dearest family and friends,

I'm so happy to be here writing another email about my week. The weeks are flying by, it is incredible. Every time I get on the internet to write you guys I have to think of the things that were important during the week to share. I cant share everything because too much happens here each week.
Baptism of Valdez

This week we worked very hard to have the baptisms of Valdez and Eduardo. Valdez is 68 years old. His whole family including wife, children, and grandchildren are members. They have been waiting for years for him to be baptized so that they could be sealed as a family. The missionaries have tried to help him for years, but he has never accepted to be baptized. When I arrived here, Sister Prock and I decided that we needed to teach him about the Plan of Salvation and the temple. The spirit was very strong when we taught him and at the end he accepted to be baptized. He was baptized on Saturday. I think that this baptism was the most amazing baptism I have seen so far on my mission. His whole family was there, and they all bore testimony of the gospel. Everyone in the room was crying as they realized that finally they could all be sealed together forever. As I was listening to each member in the family speak I thought about my own family. I'm so grateful for the plan of salvation and the temple. Valdez was confirmed yesterday.
Baptism of Eduardo

The other baptism we had was Eduardo. Eduardo visited the church for the first time last week. He LOVED church! He is a young man that lives with his grandparents, who are Catholic. Eduardo never liked going to church with them, so he stopped going to church for a long time. As we taught him this last week we could see something change in him. His grandma said that this past week he was more kind and loving and wanted to serve her. This is what the gospel does! The gospel changes us! This is a church of changes and of chances. We have every moment to change and to be better. Eduardo spent his whole week at the church building, learning and playing soccer with the other kids. He was baptized yesterday.

Saturday morning we had the experience to do service. There are members in our area that are taking care of a house that is HUGE. This house was abandoned for years and now the owner is paying this family to stay there to take care of it. The yard of the house is very big and has a lot of weeds. We decided to do a service project with the youth and weed the yard. All of the missionaries in our ward and the youth were there helping out. As some of you know, I hated doing yard work before my mission. I can finally say that I enjoy working in the yard! The only part that I didn’t like is that we found rats and tarantellas. Doing service is so wonderful! Our Savior is the best example of serving one another.
Our Zone

This last week I have had the phrase that President Hinckley´s father said to him.. Forget yourself and GO TO WORK. This past year I've had moments in my mission that I haven’t felt as happy as normal, and I realized that during those moments I wasn’t giving my all to the work. I have come to realize that real happiness comes by working! As we help the Lord we see that we are making a difference in other´s lives and are changing ourselves. Lately, I have been reading the journal entrees that I wrote a year ago. Many times I wrote about how tired I was and how I didn’t know how I was going to keep working this hard for another year. I know that the Lord has given me the strength I have needed to do His work. I love the scripture Ether 12:27. As we give our weaknesses (which can be spiritually or physically) to the Lord, he will give us strength!
Crabs in our house

I love Heavenly Father. I love that he sent us here on the earth to learn. I'm so grateful for Jesus Christ. He really is the best example. I'm so grateful for his example and his love. I'm grateful for the Atonement and that we have the opportunity to change every day. Every day we need to improve. Every day we need to be more like our Savior. I'm so grateful that every day I am strengthening my testimony. I know that the scriptures are true. I know that Thomas S. Monson is the prophet here on the earth today. I know that if we heed to his counsel we will be blessed and prepared to live with God. The world will not improve, but we can improve ourselves. I know that we can live with our families forever! I am so grateful that every day I can be a representative of Christ. It is the greatest honor.

I love you all! I am so grateful for your support and prayers.

Have a wonderful week!

Love,
Sister Unbedacht

No comments:

Post a Comment